Why this recipe for hormones?
- nutrient dense egg yolks
- quality protein from eggs
- quality fat from coconut milk, coconut milk or olive oil
- antioxidants and fiber from vegetables
- low carb content provides stable blood sugars
- using cast iron or stainless steel pan instead of teflon coated pans prevents toxic exposure from chemicals
Spanish Fritatta [printfriendly]
- 12 large organic eggs
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup sautéed mushrooms or your favorite vegetable
- 1 cup spinach or arugula
Preheat oven 375 degrees
- Whisk the eggs and coconut milk with 2 pinches of salt. Set aside.
- Prepare pan with coconut oil and medium-high heat and sauté onions until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add mushroom or favorite vegetable and sauté until soft. Toss in spinach and fold into veggie mixture just until wilted. Remove vegetables from pan; set aside.
- Turn down the heat to low, adding a little more coconut oil if needed. Using the same skillet, add the eggs, shaking to distribute the mixture evenly. Cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes using a spatula to spread the eggs from the edges to the center until the edges are no longer runny. Arrange the vegetable mixture over the top evenly.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 5-10 minutes until set and slightly browned. Remove from oven. Be careful of the hot handle!
Serve with sliced avocado and salsa